Saturday, March 7, 2009

See It (Again?) - Milk

I saw Milk last night. If you have not already done so, I implore you to see it.

I am a bit of a sucker for "one man can change things" movies. But, there are several things that stood out about this movie:
a. Harvey Milk did not become an activist until he was in his 40's. I like the message that it is never too late to find your passion
b. Harvey Milk demonstrated what I see as "Level Five" leadership - ie humility. He has people who adored him, but he had a way with people that was both self-deprecating and strong.
c. They showed a very tender love story between two men. This is very rare, and I really appreciated the kindness and compassion that Milk and his partner Scott shared.
d. Harvey showed extreme resilience in the face of failure - over and over, but he did not see the failures, he saw the incremental learning and popularity as a success in it's own right.
e. I am still shocked at how many people either are ignorant to gay people, or are still bigoted. What a travesty in this world.

No comments: