Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art in NYC - From Graffiti to Dali In One Step

I finally got to download my photos from NYC. This was such a great trip and a lot of it came from unexpected places - literally.
Graffiti art for the modern age - it is made as stickers. Yes, stickers. They are so graphic and impermanent, which is the new version of statements made on walls in urban areas. You have to see it while it is there and then move on to something new.
This was this huge mural on the side of an apartment building. I just love the sad eyes and american indian feeling to it.
This is one small small representation of an accidental encounter we had with an artist that I thought I did not like very much - Dali. We were wondering around Soho, which has very few galleries anymore and stumbled across a collection at the William Bennett Gallery of Dali like I had never seen before - watercolors with such whimsy I was moved. Themes of Alice and Wonderland and greek mythology. I got to rediscover an artist in a new way..... Which is always such a surprise.

No comments: