Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sugar Is Not Better For You Just Because Some Marketer Tells You So

My first job at Cargill was in the Corn Milling group, working on the sweeteners product line - ie selling High Fructose Corn Syrup.

My dad is a dentist, so prior to that, I had maybe 10 full "sugar sodas" in my whole life. That is what we called these things in my house - "sugar soda" and "sugar cereal". Did you know, I have 0 cavities? I may need to do a post on why everyone should have a Sonicare - I digress......

From that time, I have thought that people should be educated about the facts on the reality of HFCS vs Sugar. Please see this very fair article in the NYTimes which tells you where the science is on sweeteners.

All sucrose is sucrose, no matter where is comes from, and do not let marketers tell you otherwise. In fact, all versions of sweeteners are bad for you - whether they be sugar or high fructose corn syrup, or the non-caloric versions. So partake of them responsibly.

Eating too much causes obesity, not anything else - too many calories in, too few out. Everything in moderation. And in my case in NYC this weekend - I will need to go to the gym for a week for the out part because there ain't no moderation!

No comments: